Do you know what to do if you are injured at work?
What if you slip on vacation and break your hip?Do you know the necessary steps to take to file your Long term Disability claim? Has your work denied your claim and now you are facing with a large amount of debt?
Long term disability insurance is designed to provide replacement income when you become disabled at work.
PW Lawyers represents a wide range of clients that have been denied benefits under their group benefits packages. Every long term disability policy is different, however, many policy applications contain time limits, mandatory medical records, and updates on treatment.
Often, these policies are subject to a change of definition in which the insurer's interpretation of disability changes or the time limit is disputed. Any of these circumstances can happen to you during your claim. We are here to help.
If your application was denied, your benefits have been terminated or need legal advice on your long term disability claim, contact us today for your free consultation: (905) 940-5554
Benefits of Hiring an LTD Lawyer
The main reason people have insurance is to secure back-up financing for unexpected events that involve large financial costs. This is why everyone pays premiums in exchange for future capability to get monetary assistance from the insurance company. If your insurance provider refuses to approve your claim, things may become complicated.
- Long term disability lawyers are paid to represent people who fail to get approved claims. They are the best person to turn to when your insurance company refuses to release the amount you are asking. Due to their firsthand experience, you can be confident that they are capable of following the processes required to make a proper appeal.
- Getting legal counsel doesn't mean that you will be filing a case against your insurance provider. All it means is that you are following the legal process of appealing to court about an issue that needs further attention and resolution from your company. A lawyer can help in minimizing the issue by leading the appeal into either mediation, arbitration or appraisal.
Mediation is an informal and involuntary negotiation between both parties that occur outside court.
Arbitration is a more formal approach to mediation, but is still regulated by a third party mediator. This type of agreement can be binding or not depending on the consensus of the parties involved.
Appraisal is when the losing party decides to provide compensation over the amount of the insured loss. It involves appraisers and umpires in order to make a fair judgment.
- Toronto disability lawyers can also act on your behalf during proceedings. If you have a demanding job or are in medical rehabilitation and cannot attend to the matter personally, a lawyer can ably represent you. This includes negotiating between your insurance company and the court of appeals. This is very convenient especially for those who have undergone serious injuries that impede motor skills.
Once you are unable to work and are unsure of what to do, it would be best to seek legal advice immediately. This will lessen the damages caused by inexperience. Due to the nature of insurance companies, a single missed deadline, misrepresented data, or incorrectly filled form can put your insurance benefits into jeopardy. Contact Us today for your assessment.
Apart from all the benefits, a Long Term Disability lawyer can:
- Prepare your insurance claim documents for application. If you have sought a lawyer's help before filing a claim, he or she can create the documents and make sure that you comply with the company's requirements.
- Prepare your lawsuit documents in order to successfully get a claim from your insurance provider. Courts actually do not accept additional evidence apart from the administrative files obtained from your insurance provider. This means that an uninformed person might be walking into a trap if he is not aware of this. A knowledgeable lawyer would be able to ensure that you have complete supporting documents on file before filing a law suit and then present favourable evidence to win the case.
- Hire vocational experts as valid testimony for your case. This is essential especially if you have a strong case but lack documentary proof.
How to Get a Good LTD Lawyer
In order to find the best among the long term disability lawyers (Toronto), you need to weed out the ones that are not known to be successful first. It can be cheap to hire a starting lawyer, but the repercussions of getting an inexperienced person can cost you your case. Listen to word of mouth on the streets and news. Ask your friends and family. Get suggestions from people you trust and know that have sought legal counsel before.
Once you have several people in mind, follow the subsequent steps:
- Remove those that deal with corporate cases. Chances are, they are more experienced representing your insurance company than your side of the equation. Look for lawyers that are known to handle personal disability claims filing.
- Make sure that the remaining lawyers have knowledge and experience on all the above mentioned facts. It should be emphasized that a lawyer should be capable of the basic processes involved in your type of case. If not, consider your other options.
- Book an appointment and choose those who can readily tackle your case immediately.
- Narrow down your list to less than five and meet or talk to them for a free consultation.
- Lastly, make sure that the lawyer you choose charges on a contingency fee approach. This way you don't have to pay anything if you lose the case. You should expect to pay 25 to 40% of your claim proceeds if you win since this will cover the lawyer's fee, litigation costs and all other expenses.
An early intervention is when the insurance company gets involved in your claim within a few days of incurring your injury.